Taipei Air Station - 1966 - - - " What you have in the end are memories"......... Photo Courtesy of Richard Reesh.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

More Chung Shan North Road

John Crum sent in more photographs of his walk north on Chung Shan North Road in 1969.

Who can forget K Shoe & Taylor Shop. You probably bought something from one of these shops yourself. I had a painting done from a photograph in one of these shops in 1967.

I don't recognize this shop. Can't see any landmarks that would identify it. Can someone help?

The APO. If you give it some thought, it was one of the best things on the island. Many good things came through it's doors..

The NEX Service Department. John Crum tells the story of a visit he had to this facility.


"
The PX Annex was a semi-hardware store. In an effort to keep the roaches at bay, I went there once to buy caulk and a caulk gun. The locals there never heard of caulk and directed me to the MAAG Rod and Gun Club for a gun. Can't make this stuff up."


Looking across Chun Shan North Road into the HSA East Compound in 1969.

The gate area above, how it looked around 2006

And, how that old Gate Area looks today.

2 comments:

唯蔥 said...

I remember these photo. When I was a kid, my uncle take me to the service department. The steak, apple, ice cream and candy from US is very good. It's so happy on those old good days.

Johnny Jiang said...

Regarding K Shoe & Taylor Shop, I found no search results from google whatsoever by Chinese characters. There is another clue from the signboard underneath the word ”TAILOR” on the wall. It was Magic Touch Art Gallery on the 2nd floor of the building, which, you might’ve already known, located nearby the lane around Shu Lin Kou Club. I think both the shop and gallery have vanished now.