Taipei Air Station - 1966 - - - " What you have in the end are memories"......... Photo Courtesy of Richard Reesh.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Get Yourself a Christmas Present

I came across one of my favorite books while rummaging through my desk this afternoon.  

I've read the book a number of times, but just couldn't resist thumbing through the pages again.
The author, John Ball writes of days and events in Taipei many of us experienced during our visits.
His story is familiar, you're drawn in like a fly on the wall, You understand the truth to each situation he encounters.  It's difficult to stop, too interesting to put down. 

The book...


John Ball's words in his, Author's Notes:  "This book is a novel.  What you read in the following pages is real and happened just as it is set down here."  .... "To me it is an adventure story;      if you think otherwise, then it's a safe bet that you don't know the Dragon Hotel.  If perhaps you've missed this enlightening experience, the best I can do is to record the facts - you take it from there."

Some of you may have spent some time at the Dragon Hotel. 

It was listed as a recommended Hotel in the 1960 Taiwan Report.  

The map below, shows the approximate locations of Taipei Central City Hotels in 1960.
Double Click on this map for larger view.  
The Dragon Hotel is # circle 5 on the map.
Take a few minutes acquaint yourself with the shortest route from Sung Shan AFB to the area around the old MAAG Compound, MAAG Officer's Club, Club 63 and the Grand Hotel.

The hotel was on Chang Chun Road.
In 1960, folks drove back and forth to Sung Shan AFB, the Taipei Military and civilian airport, using Nanking East Road.    
If you were stationed in Taipei, it's a guarantee you'll enjoy it.

I checked and found this Internet link to ordering the book.  Quite reasonable prices.

You'll find, all sorts of used copies of the book HERE.

Dragon Hotel was first printed in 1969, I don't believe any "new" copies exist.


Some of you may have had the pleasure of staying in the Dragon Hotel.

If you know anything about the Dragon Hotel, please write or leave a Comment below.

And, lastly, those who have a copy of the book on your shelf, it's time to visit Taipei and the Dragon Hotel again....











1 comment:

titojohn said...

Kent, I bought a copy of "Dragon Hotel" in Taipei when it first came out. I still have it. I read it every now and then when I get "homesick." I highly recommend it!
John